At MAS Home Care, we believe in helping each person live independently in the comfort of their own home. You make sure your children are growing up to be independent, and of course, you want to allow your parent or parents to retain their independence as long as you can. MAS Home Care has put together a few tips to help the sandwich generation.
1. Include your parents in any and all decisions, as best you can. This is beneficial for two reasons – your parents will feel empowered and included in the family decisions, and also – you may avoid fights or stress in the future.
2. Spend quality time with everyone – not just caregiving time. Plan a family game night, make some popcorn and watch the new Pixar film together, and if possible, plan a family outing. Remember to have fun with your family.
3. Get your ducks in a row. Being the primary caregiver of a family means big responsibilities, and all your affairs should be in order. This includes your finances (consider meeting with a financial adviser), and having an attorney draw up a will for you.
4. Take care of number 1: You. It’s easy to get so wrapped up in taking care of everyone else around you, that you forget to take care of yourself. Take some time out for you, and do so often. Remember – it’s okay to ask for help.
5. Look into home care agencies like MAS Home Care for respite care. MAS Home Care can provide anywhere from 2 hours of care per day, to round the clock care. If you need some help, we’re here for you!